Saturday, May 29, 2010

Flannel Flower Vase (8/2008)

Well, today I'm looking back to a project from August of '08.  It's a good time to remember because it was before the chaos hit our house.  Little did we know that a couple of weeks after this we would be rushing our oldest dachsie to MedVet for her third back surgery and two weeks after that my husband would fall down the stairs and break his ankle in two places.  It was pure craziness.  So I'll take a deep breath and think back to the calm times when I was making this piece.  I had acquired the fabric grouping from Keepsake Quilting a couple of years prior, and had never really known what I wanted to do with the bundle.  I can't remember what the name of the fabric line was, but it is flannel and has a lot of visual texture.  It's just one of those fabrics that makes you want to reach out and touch it!  I used the fat quarters in the bundle to make a Yellow Brick Road quilt (pattern by Terry Atkinson) - but I made the pieces smaller.  Then instead of using the blocks to make a Yellow Brick Road quilt, I used them to create a square around the outside of the flower vase panel.   On the outside I added an extra wide border, using some other black flannel that I had.  This *may* end up getting cut down - it just depends on how I decide to quilt it.  At this point I'm leaning towards doing trapunto work on the flower vase panel - so that would mean it's going to be a wall hanging.  In that case I'll trim those fat borders down a few inches!

No comments:

Post a Comment