Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ribbon Taffy Lap Quilt – Day 1

Technically I started cutting the pieces for this quilt on Sunday night – but I did no stitching.  So I’m declaring this Day 1.  This quilt is called the Ribbon Taffy Lap Quilt, from the book Laps From Fats by Ellen Replogle.  I’m using a fat quarter bundle from Moda called Mistletoe Manor, which is a few years old at this point.  I’m using just the woven part of the collection, which gives it a neat old look.  But boy were these wovens giving me fits.   I pulled out the regular spray starch (instead of my usual Best Press) hoping to get a little more stiffness.  It helped a little, but only slightly. 

And because this quilt is a diagonal set quilt, it started to get big and hard to manage very quickly.  With my bad knee, every extra step that I have to take is tricky.   All of the back and forth from the design wall to the cutting table to the sewing machine was not pleasant today.  But luckily I got a large portion of the top put together today.  I’ve got to put together the four bottom corner sections, and then attach those to the rest of the quilt tomorrow!  The borders will be a green woven from the collection,

day1

No comments:

Post a Comment