Sunday, July 31, 2011

If you’re afraid of color …

I have found that working on children’s quilts has been a great way for me to get over my fear of using certain colors.  (and since I don’t have kids – I’ve made a few puppy quilts too – which also qualify)  For some dumb reason I think we’re more open, and more creative, and more willing to go out on a limb when we’re doing things for kids (or pups).  We don’t mind using crazy color combinations, or wild bright colors!

Here’s a charity quilt that I pieced for the Quilts For Kids Challenge (from the Downy commercials).  Obviously this one is for a boy!

1

and here’s a close-up that shows the four different types of quilting that I’ve chosen to do on this quilt.

2

I’m using a red variegated LAVA thread (from Superior Threads), which has become one of my go-to threads for my quilting.  The border area uses the LAVA which has some freemotion meandering, in a fairly loose curve (could it look like little racetracks?).  The LAVA is also used for the large spirals in the solid racecar blocks.  The spirals are done using the Pro-Stitcher (computerized quilting), so that’s why they’re coming out so consistent.  And then finally, the same LAVA is also being used for the continuous curve quilting in the 4-patch units.  I’m using a yellow So Fine! thread (from Superior Threads) for the clam shell pattern in the yellow border.  There’s also a dark grey So Fine being used for some of the ditch quilting.

I should have the quilting finished this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment